This is a long term commitment so you must think carefully about it and be happy that your circumstances, as far as you are aware, will remain suitable. We want our dog’s next home to be his last. Please appreciate that our screening process is there to make it as sure as possible that it will be.
- Do you live within an approximate 50 mile drive of our base in South Lincolnshire?
- Are your living arrangements permanent? If you are thinking of moving it is better to wait until you are settled.
- If you are in rented accommodation do you have the landlord’s written permission to have a pet?
- Is your back garden completely secure and separated from the front securely?
- Will the dog live indoors as a pet?
- How long will the dog be left unattended. There is a suggested leaving time for each dog in their description based on their age/activity level and personality.
- Are your children or grandchildren over the age of five? (we would discuss this with you).
VISITS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
All our animals are vet checked, neutered, vaccinated and microchipped. You will get four weeks free pet insurance once you have taken ownership.
We ask a minimum payment of £150 for dogs and £60 for cats. We welcome any donation in addition as these charges do not cover the cost of neutering, vaccination and microchipping that we have had done. We have other veterinary and kennelling costs to meet.
After an initial discussion when we try to establish whether we have dogs that might be suitable for your circumstances, we fix an appointment for you to visit us. (We cannot accommodate casual visits). We want all members of the family to come, plus any dog that you currently have.
If you meet a dog that you think would make a good companion and we agree is suitable, we ask you to go home and think about it to avoid an impulse decision. If you are sure, you can then phone and confirm that you would like to go ahead. We will arrange to do a home check. (This is to confirm that you have a well fenced, secure garden and that the dog will live indoors as a pet).
When we are both satisfied you will take your chosen dog for an introductory period, usually about two weeks. The dog will be your responsibility from the time you take it. Once you are happy that the dog is right for you we will meet up again to transfer ownership to you and deal with payment etc. We will never try to force a dog on you.
We will ask you to make payment now (cheques or cash only) and to sign a legal transfer of ownership form setting out your obligations. It will state that if you are unable to keep the dog it must be returned to Three Counties Dog Rescue. We will always be available to help and advise throughout the lifetime of your dog.
Now you have read this, if you would like to know more about having a Three Counties dog as your companion, call Gyll Mauchline on 01778 440318 or 077085 89792 (between 9am. and 5pm.)